Mr. Renner has more than 35 years of experience in public accounting. During this time he has helped countless small businesses grow and flourish. His areas of expertise include services to professional practices, government contractors, manufacturers, and other closely held businesses. Mr. Renner is certified in Financial Forensics under standards issued by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. He is licensed to practice in Virginia, the District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey and Illinois. He is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, the Greater Washington Society of CPAs, and the Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants. Mr. Renner has a Bachelors of Science in Business from the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in Blacksburg, Virginia.
Mr. Renner has served on the Board of Directors of the following professional organizations:
- Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants, Board of Directors 1993 to 1996, and the
- Northern Chapter of the Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants, President, 1989 to 1990, active member and committee chair 1976 through 2001.
Mr. Renner has received a number of professional awards including:
- Super CPA, Virginia Business Magazine and the Virginia Society of CPAs – one of the best CPAs in Virginia for 2008 recognition,
- Outstanding Member Award, Northern Chapter of the Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants, 1996-97, and the
- President’s Award, Northern Chapter of the Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants, 1979-1980.
Mr. Renner serves on a number of nonprofit boards of business and charitable organizations that help our community, and has done so for more than 35 years. Mr. Renner has been eager to work for positive outcomes and build consensus around important community issues. A list of his volunteer service is provided below:
- City of Alexandria Budget and Fiscal Affairs Advisory Committee, (BFAAC), Member and Chamber representative, 2000 to 2003, and City Councilmember representative 2010 to the present.
- City of Alexandria Waterfront Committee, Member, 2007 through 2010,
- City Manager’s Performance Audit Task Force, 2006 through present,
- City of Alexandria Ad Hoc Commercial Tax Option Study Committee – member 2008
- Old Town BID – member of organization committee
- Alexandria Chamber of Commerce, Chair, Finance Committee, Board Member, 2006 through present, Chair of a number of committees and task forces such as PTO Task Force, Permitting Task Force, Was instrumental in securing lunchtime shuttle to transport PTO employees to Alexandria businesses. Participated in writing Chamber’s comments and testified on behalf of Chamber with regard to City Budget 2003 through 2007.
- Represented interests of small businesses to City Department of Finance and Revenue and was instrumental in recent changes in City business license tax simplification.
- Worked with City Staff during development of legislation to gain exemption from admissions tax for our City’s charitable organizations.
- First Night Alexandria, President 2006, Board Member, 2001 through 2007
- Old Town Business and Professional Association (formerly KSMET), Treasurer 2005 through 2007.
- Alexandria Convention and Visitors Association, Executive Committee and Board Member 2006 through 2010,
- Alexandria Police Association, Board Member 2005 through present,
- Alexandria Crime Solvers, President 2006 through present,
- Leadership Alexandria Graduate, Class of 2006,
- Rotary Club of Alexandria, Treasurer, 2005-2006, Member 2001 through present,
- Alexandria Police Citizens Academy, Graduate 2006,
- City of Alexandria Citizens Emergency Response Team, (CERT), 2006,
- Campagna Center, Circle of 1000 and Business Leaders Council,
- Friends of the Torpedo Factory Art Center, Board Member and Chair of Taste for Art, 2001,
- Arlington County Industrial Development Authority, Vice Chair, 1996 to 2000,
- Columbia Pike Revitalization Organization, President, 1996 to 1998,
- Northern Virginia Community College Curriculum Advisory Committee, Chair 1989 to 1991.
Mr. Renner has received a number of community awards including:
- Living Legends of Alexandria, 2010; selected along with his wife, Joan, as one of the Living Legends of Alexandria.
- Rotarian of the Year, Rotary Club of Alexandria, 2009; selected with his wife, Joan for service to the Club and community.
- Recognition of Long-Standing Commitment and Support, Friends of the Torpedo Factory Art Center, 2005,
- ACVA Superstar, Alexandria Convention and Visitors Association, 2008,
- Outstanding Committee Chair, Alexandria Chamber of Commerce, 2009 and 2004,
- Outstanding CPRO Member Award, Columbia Pike Revitalization Organization, 1995,
- Catholic Schools Business Partnership Award, Diocese of Arlington Catholic Schools, 1997,