What we do
Nonprofit Accounting Services
Auditing - Nonprofits
We perform audits of financial statements for many types of nonprofit organizations as well as audits of federal award recipients under OMB Circular A-133.
- We use a risk-based approach that directs audit effort to where it is needed the most.
- We plan the audit to meet your deadline.
- During the audit process, we keep you informed with a structured approach to engagement management.
- Boards appreciate our clear and concise presentations regarding the conduct of the audit and audit results.
- Our peer review process provides you with independent assurance of our professional quality.
Our nonprofit clients include:
- Trade Associations,
- Professional Associations,
- Scientific Organizations,
- Federal Award Recipients,
- Social Service Organizations,
- Churches, and
- Other Public Charities.
Nonprofit Accounting and Advisory Services
We have developed a number of important new accounting services to meet the needs of nonprofits in today’s environment of increased accountability and governance. Our accounting services include:
Audit Prep – provides an extra hand with year-end reconciliations, adjustments and audit schedules while you continue to control ongoing operations. Audit prep helps you reduce delays in completing your audit, avoid crisis conditions, and improve audit results. You get the additional professional expertise you need only when you need it.
Monthly or Quarterly Accounting – allows you to use in-house accounting staff for daily transactions and bring in the additional professional expertise on an as-needed basis. Monthly or Quarterly Accounting allows you to present reconciled financial statements to your Board throughout the year and adds expertise to your presentations to your Board or Finance Committee.
Nonprofit Controller for Hire – provides experienced accounting personnel to fill short-term needs as interim controller or CFO.
Weekly Accounting – staffs your entire accounting function processing transactions, reconciling accounts and preparing monthly compiled financial statements. Weekly Accounting saves you time on hiring, training and supervision of in-house accounting personnel. Weekly Accounting is a great resource for a new organization during start-up or an organization making the transition to independent operations.
Compilation and Review of Financial Statements – provides complete financial statements compiled or reviewed under AICPA standards to meet your financial reporting needs as required by your bank or Board. Compiled statements may also be prepared in a short form as needed as part of monthly or quarterly accounting.
Accounting System Design – provides help in designing an accounting system that produces the reports you need for management and reporting.
Advisory Services – provide professional assistance in addressing specific nonprofit issues such as assistance with the:
- application of new accounting principles,
- development of Board governance policies and procedures,
- development of accounting manuals,
- establishment of procedures for internal control,
- financial training of Board members, and
- establishment of audit and finance committee functions.
Because we prepare Form 990 more than any other type of business return, our staff receives specialized training in nonprofit taxation every year. We understand the tax issues nonprofits face today.
Areas We Serve
Renner and Company, CPA, P.C. serves nonprofits, individuals and businesses, including government contractors, located in the Washington DC metropolitan area including Alexandria, Arlington, Fairfax, Falls Church, Tysons Corner and Reston, Virginia; as well as Bethesda, Rockville, Beltsville, and Silver Spring, Maryland; Washington, DC. and other states and locales.